2017 Summit Overview
The Arizona-Mexico Commission was proud to host the 2017 AMC Summit, “At the Crossroads of Opportunity.” Arizona Governor Doug Ducey and Sonora Governor Claudia Pavlovich welcomed over 600 key Arizona and Mexico leaders in attendance at the sold-out event.
During the Summit, both Governors met with several stakeholders, engaged in a Q&A panel with the audience and signed agreements of cooperation, including:
Our opening keynote on Thursday, U.S. Senator Senator Jeff Flake highlighted that trade with Mexico is good for Arizona businesses, workers and consumers. He shared information about his new #NAFTA4AZ project and called the audience to share their stories. Then, Aeromar Airlines CEO Andres Fabre talked about the work his company is doing to improve Arizona-Mexico connectivity; Aeromar currently has flights from Tucson to Hermosillo, Culiacan, Guadalajara and more 5 days a week! We also had a top level panel on Global Patterns and Shifts in Trade including Mexico Institute Director Duncan Wood, Port of Los Angeles Richard Cameron, Grupo Mexico VP Daniel Muñiz, and Seguritech CEO Ariel Picker moderated by AMC Board of Director Glenn Hamer. We ended the first day at a networking reception with Arizona’s very own Olympic Gold Medalist Misty Hyman who inspired the crowd sharing her story and saying,”Un gran sueño vale la pena.”
On day two, we began the program with ProMéxico CEO Paulo Carreño King. He was followed by executives from Lucid Motors and Union Pacific Railroad CEO Lance Fritz that shared their perspectives on innovation and the global economy. The AMC also hosted a Film panel featuring Mexican Producer Gaston Pavlovich, Arizona’s Film Commissioner Matthew Earl Jones, and the Hanson Film Institute exploring the opportunities existing for the industry in the Arizona-Sonora region.
Additionally, the AMC’s fourteen binational committees, led by state agency directors and business leaders from both sides of the border, held jam-packed and action filled meetings throughout the event.
Thank you to our sponsors, members, speakers, special guests, volunteers, staff and more for making this year’s event unforgettable!
Please see below for a full list of our bi-national committee action items and other opportunities to get involved, as well as pictures and videos of the various forums and receptions.
BI-NATIONAL COMMITTEE ACTION ITEMS & PRESENTATIONS
- Agribusiness &Wildlife
- Art & Culture
- Economic Development
- Emergency Management
- Environment & Water
- Financial and Legal Services
- Health Services
- Real Estate
- Transportation, Infrastructure and Ports
AGENDA RECAP & LINKS TO PRESENTATIONS
Thursday, June 1
- “The Importance of the U.S.-Mexico Relationship” – Honorable Jeff Flake, U.S. Senator (R-AZ)
- “Vision for Global Change” – Andres Fabre, CEO, Aeromar Airlines
- “Global Patterns and Shifts in Trade Panel” –
- Duncan Wood, Executive Director, Mexico Institute, Wilson Center
- Richard Cameron, Managing Director, Planning and Environmental Affairs, Port of Long Beach
- Daniel Muñiz Quintanilla, Vice President, Grupo Mexico
- Ariel Picker, CEO, Seguritech
- Networking Reception
Friday, June 2
- “Mexico at the Crossroads of Globalization and Regional Integration” – Paulo Carreño King, CEO, ProMexico
- “Think Globally” – Peter Rawlinson, Chief Technology Officer, Lucid Motors and Derek Jenkins, Vice President of Design, Lucid Motors
- “International Trade and the Economy” – Lance Fritz, CEO, Union Pacific Railroad
- “The Film Industry – Investment, Branding and Job Creation Panel”
- Gaston Pavlovich, Producer, President and CEO, Fábrica de Cine
- Matthew Earl Jones, Director, Arizona Office of Film & Digital Media
- Victoria Westover, Director, Hanson Film Institute, University of Arizona
- “Decision Makers Forum” – Honorable Governor Doug Ducey and Honorable Governor Claudia Pavlovich
- Arizona and Sonora Plenary Session
- Gala Dinner and Presentation of AMC Awards and Sponsor Recognition
PICTURES AND MEDIA COVERAGE
Our event also received widespread coverage from members of the media locally and internationally. Some articles include:
- Arizona, Sonora Officials Seek Better Transportation- Arizona Public Media
- Two governors promote cross-border trade- Arizona Daily Sun
- Arizona no tiene playa, pero tendra un ‘puerto marítimo’ en México- Univision
Click here to read the full press release.
Click here for pictures of the 2017 AMC Summit.
— Doug Ducey (@dougducey) June 3, 2017
— Claudia Pavlovich A. (@claudiapavlovic) June 2, 2017