Comisión Sonora-Arizona & Arizona-Mexico Commission Annual Meeting
“Megaregion, a partnership that generates results”
December 1-2, 2016
The Comisión Sonora-Arizona (CSA) and Arizona-Mexico Commission’s (AMC) annual meeting took place in Hermosillo on December 1-2, 2016. Top level business leaders and policy makers gathered under the leadership of Sonora Governor Claudia Pavlovich and Arizona Governor Doug Ducey to promote a strong, cooperative binational relationship. The event titled, “Megaregion, a partnership that generates results,” consisted of distinguished speaker panels and networking events. Speakers included two cabinet level Mexican government officials (Secretary of Economy Ildefonso Guajardo and Secretary of Foreign Affairs Claudia Ruiz Massieu). In addition, the CSA, in partnership with the AMC, hosted fourteen binational committee meetings with business and government leaders to develop initiatives promoting trade and cross-border information sharing.
Governor Ducey and Governor Pavlovich participated in several private meetings with officials from Mexico’s highest levels of government and our binational committees’ co-chairs. The Governors also spoke during the Plenary Session and signed agreements of cooperation between our states. The agreements included:
- Energy: Declaration of Cooperation between the State of Sonora’s Energy Commission and the Arizona Governor’s Office of Energy and Natural Resources policy to collaborate in the production of an energy roadmap.
- Environment and Water: Declaration of Cooperation between both states for the development and implementation of an environmental strategic plan in the Megaregion.
Furthermore, the Arizona Office of Tourism and Sonora Secretary of Tourism unveiled their joint marketing for the “two-nation vacation” strategy to brand our region as a tourism destination.
Our event also received widespread coverage from members of the media locally and internationally. Some articles include:
- Cross-Border Governors Collaborate for Business- Arizona Public Media
- Dependen de México 111 mil empleos en Arizona- El Imparcial
- Se reúne Ruiz Massieu con gobernadores de Sonora y Arizona- El Universal
Click here to read the full press release.
Click here to view pictures of the event.
We are grateful for all participants who made this event a great success. Join us in June 2017 for the next AMC Summit!